The Lift

Located in the heart of the River Arts District, this 1907 building was originally constructed and occupied by the Nabisco Biscuit Company and utilized as their warehouse and distribution center. Our design intent was to embrace the history and character of the existing structure and make minor interventions to update its function for its artist owner. A section of rotted floor was removed opening the first floor to the basement below, allowing natural light and ventilation deeper into the basement. A steel bridge now spans this opening, a seemingly whimsical element with serious functional results. The existing brick walls are exposed and their original finishes embellished- lime wash brick walls remain white but in a new paint, unpainted brick was cleaned and sealed, plaster walls were cleaned and sealed. *2011 Griffin Award Winner for Adaptive Reuse*